Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

For me continuing to do the same thing and simply just not drink never worked, the reason being it created a whole lot of time with my thoughts, and in isolation I would tend to return to drinking, so a few things I did to change things up were:

-SR was built into my daily routine, I logged in when I woke up, during my lunch break at work, when I arrived home from work and last thing before going to bed.
-I would leave my bank cards at home when I left for work so there was no way to buy alcohol on the way home from work, when my good intentions had evaporated later in the day.
-Upon arriving home from work when I would usually start drinking, before cooking a long walk in the fresh air to deal with the stress of the day was worked into my routine.
-Before bed I would lay out my clothes for work the next morning and began to brush my teeth every night, previously I would have blacked out into bed.
-Each morning I now have a large glass of water and get up earlier so I'm not in the same rush I was when hungover, this is a less stressful start to the day.
-On weekends I go for a coffee and a muffin every Sunday morning, as a kind of reward, I buy a news paper and have some me time, plenty of relaxation to round off the week.

All of these things were not part of my routine when drinking and through moulding and creating a life away from alcohol it has lost it's grip more and more over time!!