View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Quirky
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
But I came out on top!

I am 11 days in after slipping back for a couple weeks, and last night the AV was really hounding me. If I make it through this summer (and beyond of course), it will be the first summer I've made it throught without alchohol being a part of anything since I was probably 18 (now 28). And it is going to give me a run for my money, no doubt.

But last night I realized how my mindfulness practice and visualization techniques I've learned in counseling can really come in handy when it comes to silencing urges.

At one point it got really bad, I came on here for a bit. But it was still whispering in my ear like some manipulative seductress. So finally I just stopped and thought about the next morning (now). I visualized waking up, the sound of my fan, rays of morning sun piercing through my blinds, and having a headache, and that feeling that I still cannot put into words. You guys know what I mean, that "I feel like death" feeling. I imagined standing up and the headache starting to pound. I imagined how I wouldn't feel like doing my morning workout, how I wouldn't feel like doing anything. I imagined the immediate feeling of regret and self-loathing. I could almost feel it, as if my consciousness briefly traveled forward in time.

And I wanted no part of it.

And just like that, I became stronger. The impulse to grab a drink didn't leave right away, but my ability to ignore it grew immensely.

And here I am. Day 11. Victorious!
Wow, great post Mns1.
Hope I can be as strong as you are and get to day 11. I am starting day 7, but finding the going difficult at times. I will try to do what you did when the going gets tough for me, and think about how bad things will be the next morning.
Keep up the good work.
Ring