Thread: 15 months
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
iGirl66

(((Hugs)))

Take your time. There's no rush and you'll be stronger in the end. It's been 8 months for me and I have no intention of seeking out a relationship until I'm sure I'm ok. And in some ways I'm not there yet. Not because I'm afraid of acting weird or clingy, but because I'm actually enjoying this bit of me time. I want to have fun this summer just kicking around with no obligations. In fall (when I need a warm cuddle!lol!) I will start looking around. You've nothing to prove to anyone about anything. The people who can't accept you for yourself are simply not meant to be part of your life.

One of the things that we do in SMART Recovery is that we give our addictive/negative voice a name. It is a part of us, and unhealed part, but not the totality of who we are or even the biggest part of who we are. It's just the part that has taken over like a dictator making itself bigger than it is. That's why we eschew any labels. We have power over this voice. We have power over the thoughts that we choose to hold on to. It may take some time to recognize it in all of its disguises like insecurity masquerading as concern. But, with practice and mindfulness you can on cover the process that gives the beast life. We look at this "beast" objectively and have a conversation or tell it to clam up. It's like a naughty child that demands attention. And it, like booze or drugs, fights to stay active. You have to starve it out.

You're on your way for sure. Knowing that there is something amiss is more clarity than many people have right now. You're going to be spectacular and some lucky guy will know it!