Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Keep them going, Casey - each one after this will get better too. Glad to see you on board every weekend and contribute to the board!

Wrapping up vacation, and I was talking to a friend of mine who lives down here. He's originally from The States, but has given up the traditional office life and the rat race. He now has a humble job, working as the chef at a little cafe down here on the Caribbean in a small fishing village, running his own little one-man kitchen at a place that's only open from 7am-noon. He lives a very basic no-frills life down here, but he's happy. He told me today "Five years ago I only could hope to have the life I have now."

It got me thinking about "downsizing life" in sobriety. For many of us, it helps to start re-thinking what happiness means. Is happiness a bigger TV, a bigger car, a bigger paycheck and a more demanding job? Or....would you be happier replacing that TV with a bookshelf, trading the car for a bicycle, and working fewer hours for less pay? The chef down here at this little cafe by the sea knows the answer. Do you? Something to chew on for anyone looking to lighten the emotional load as you begin building your new life without alcohol and drugs.

Last photo from down Costa Rica way, a long day at airports tomorrow before getting back to the highland mountains of Guatemala. Ciao for now everyone.