Thread: Resentments
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Not everyone is able to explain stuff well - especially to a hot-headed; resentful alcoholic in full blown wounded-pride, damaged-ego, ranting mode

Maybe she was in the middle of something or on her way out to an appointment.

If the BB says something succinctly I don't think there is an issue with someone directing another person to the page they need so that they can calm down a little and read it through later. Especially if they know that they might muddy the waters by explaining it less well.
Certain people in AA like to give the impression that if you're working your program, "as laid out in the book", you will no longer ever feel resentful, upset, depressed, or down about anything. You will be happy joyous and free. If you are not, then you must be doing something wrong. That, IMO, is a very dangerous line of BS... and a big reason why some people stay depressed, or wind up drinking again. It leads to thinking that there's something wrong with them. Especially if and when they ARE earnestly working their program.

Working a program does not mean that we're not going to ever be upset, get resentful, or have an argument with anyone. Being a spiritual person doesn't mean that we're going to walk around feeling nothing but bliss 24/7. Not to me, anyhow. It means I'm going to feel ALL my feelings, not act on them in negative or hurtful ways, accept them, learn and grow from them, and trust that my HP is doing it's job just fine. It means I'm going to be honest with myself and with others about what I'm feeling, and not try to run from them or medicate them in any way.

I understand that the BB can say things very succinctly at times, but that's just not what resonates with me. I've a feeling I'm not alone with that. I read the BB, more than a 1000 times. I much prefer when talking to people to hear THEIR real life experience. Not someone else's. That's what brings the information in the BB to life for me, when people speak the language of the heart, as Bill himself put it.

I said what I did in my initial post because I was able to relate to what countrygirl was saying. Throwing BB quotes at people in my opinion is not really being there for them. It feels as though it's coming from a judgmental, as opposed to supportive place. Especially when someone is dealing with resentment.

Again, just my experience. Yours may differ.