View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
TroyW

Welcome to the June class Avra. Wow, this class is really shaping up. Congrats everyone!

Had a two hour nap this afternoon, so now it's 10pm, and sure enough I'm wide awake. I guess this is that insomnia part I've heard so much about?

It's nice being sober though, even the small things. I enjoy being able to go to the neighbourhood shops without that shame and guilt, followed by me slinking away back home with a bottle of whiskey. Now it's just cigs and water. Being able to eat without having to sleep immediately afterwards is nice as well. Plus I don't throw out tons of food any more, because I took it out to defrost, then never got around to cooking it over the next couple days.

Mom called tonight (morning her time). I mentioned I've been sober since the 1st, and she immediately changed the subject. I think that's just because she doesn't want to face her own alcoholism, as we've always been good drinking buddies.

We only talked maybe about 30 mins, and I swear, 15 mins of it was centered around alcohol. "yep, going golfing today, then after we usually hang out for some finger food and drinks", "dinner group is at my house this month on Sunday, so I'm going to make us mojitos before we start drinking wine", "in a couple days there's the car show in town, so we're going to a friend's place for a BBQ, and going to sit out front and watch the old cars drive past and have a few drinks", "on Thursday we have the wine evening at Linda's house this month, those are always fun", and on, and on, and on...

I understand I pick up on this type of talk a lot more because I'm sober, but geez. There was a time when I thought being on the other side of the world by myself was a negative. Now I'm starting to think it's a positive, as being back in Canada around my family would probably make sobriety near impossible, as my brothers, sister-in-laws or nephews aren't any better.

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying their Tuesday!