Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

I see two types of ways to go at sobriety. The "get up and go go go" way where people start new hobbies, clean the house, organize the kitchen, etc. and the "sit on the couch and minimize all stress/rest" way. I did the on the couch way. For the first few weeks I really would have looked like someone with the flu. Blankets, laptop, and tons of comfort food. I think the different ways work for different people.

I can relate to the paralyzing fear of starting a new job. However, my biggest fear was losing the job due to one of the many problems that drinking causes: tired appearance, lack of hygiene, being LATE, sleeping through my alarm, general apathy, irritability, visibly shaking hands, emailing the boss a drunk email, getting a DUI, and many, many other worries. Now that I'm sober I don't gave to worry about any of those. Sobriety will help your career!

Perhaps the key to my plan was spending 4-8 hours logged in here every single day in the first month. Sound like a lot of time? Well I never used to think twice about spending 5-8 hours drunk every night and accomplishing jack squat. It was the least I could do. I had to put as much effort into my sobriety as I did drinking alcohol. Otherwise I didn't stand a chance.

I also had moderate to severe cognition difficulties early on. I thought I had wet brain. I had difficulty reading all the way through a page in a book. Sometimes a sentence. PIN numbers and passwords left me completely. I am happy to report that my cognition has returned..