Old 06-06-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
A lot of people in this life seek validation and approval for the choices they made , they have the sneaky suspicion that somewhere someone has made better choices and is having a better time
Profound stuff, Mex! I think technology and social media play a big role today, and it's why so many folks can't be happy with their own choices. Yes, me included. As humans, we are prone to compare and rank ourselves in relation to others. Other primates do it, other animals do it, we are no different. Today, instead of comparing ourselves to our local family and friends, we have the whole world out there to compete with. Facebook will show us the actions of 300 people per day - and many of them will "rank higher" than us in one category or another. As long as someone has a better job, a wife that's prettier, children that are smarter, houses that are bigger, vacations that are more exotic....we feel the sting of inadequacy. And it's not just facebook, not by a long shot. Blogs, personal websites, and youtube videos are out there highlighting the best people the world has to offer. Essentially, we are not just competing with our local tribe anymore - we are competing with 6 billion humans in what's become a global village.

I am at my best when I am striving to make my own life better for me. I am at my worst when I am striving to make my life more appealing to others. I think that goes for many of us. It's good to be reminded there's a difference.

Thanks for sharing a part of your story as well, it sounds familiar to me in many ways.