Old 06-05-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Igirl66-

I also think you are doing great!

I am in a place of old, deep resentments and anger. Food is up for me (again) as I hope I wade into this last emotional hurdle from my childhood.

I have found that for me in times of stress/in times of change/ and especially in times of actually allowing myself to feel my emotions (for the first time) food comes roaring back in as my soothing comfort. For me it truly was the way I self-soothed as a child. As I learn to feel these feelings, develop new coping mechanisms with them and let go of some old stuff I don't struggle with food over them any longer.

My loved one that got me here did open up something for me. I had to FINALLY deal with what I had kept stuffed for so long. My relationship with him forced me to understand that my old ways of coping were more painful than feeling the emotions that I was not willing to feel for so long. He cracked open a wound that I had to clean out before it could be stictched back together.

It has taken me a long time to get here, especially to feeling anger. I just went to a clinical workshop on anger last week. I learned about the different types of anger and how people behave. I somaticize anger and store it in my body (why I have TMJ and my hips hurt with anger), and I self-sabatogue. The example of a self-sabatogue person was the "nicest person on the planet," who goes home and overeats......that was an uncomforable look in the mirror.