Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Character, in the classic psych literature, usually refers to the components of our personality that is more flexible and subject to influences by our life experience and environment. The part that is considered more stable for life and inborn is called Temperament.
What is the TCI? ? Center for Well-Being

I am involved in research that studies these things in drug addiction and we use the test (among a few others) that is available through the website I linked for assessment. Unfortunately it's not free online but not too expensive either and I think the result can be enlightening for those interested in understanding our individual traits.

Alcoholism/addiction definitely affects our character, and how our personality traits manifest. Often even for a long time after we quit using our drug of choice -- why recovery is a long term process and not an event.

I'm also unclear about what you exactly mean to discuss, Redmayne, especially by the "inherent alcoholism" others found confusing as well. Do you mean the vulnerability that some people have to addictions even before ever using drugs? The personality traits that sometimes predispose people to developing addictions? If so, yes it definitely exists. This was a recent thread discussing some of this stuff and I posted in it also:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rd-centre.html

I'm not very much into analyzing the BB and am not familiar with the terminology enough to comment on that, just wanted to say something from the point of view I know much better and actually also work on myself.