Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Although notably this refers to 'real alcoholics' see - Chapter 3 of the BB, (4th Ed.) titled,'More About Alcoholism' which provides both a description and their behaviour.
Are you saying that "inherent alcoholism" is synonymous with "real alcoholic"?

As far as scientific research, there's the genetic aspect and the environmental one. The environment can determine which of your inherited genes are activated and expressed, and to what degree. I think there's a consensus of a 50/50 split, half genetic, half environmental. Or at least, that used to be the general consensus.

Does alcoholism affect character? That's a tough one. I'd think it certainly affects character while a person is actively using. And for a few years after quitting, while the brain is healing, it is probably still affected.

But character is a person's traits exhibited over time, right? And aren't we all, to some degree, fluidly expressing many personality traits? We change over time. Character is generally thought to be somewhat fixed.

I was an introvert before my alcoholic genes were activated. And now at 2+ years sober, I'm still an introvert

I think I understand your question, RedMayne. And my answer is "yes." I think alcoholism does affect our character. But more importantly, I believe we can change And I believe we can better ourselves, and some of these negative traits recede, while the positive ones are enhanced.

Today, I am able to trust myself, and give my word to others, and have them place their trust in me. I am no longer covering up my behavior in order to drink. I am no longer making tons of excuses and justifications.

Those negative traits common to addicts may or may not be truly "character" traits, but if we live that way long enough, in active addiction, it can sure be experienced as such.