Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Needabreak

We can take retreats. I just took a retreat. A long weekend (5-days) at Kripalu Yoga Center in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. It was expensive, but probably less expensive -- and much more pleasant -- than rehab. Yoga, massage, good healthy food, hikes in the area, I feel wonderful now!

I took some flak about doing this -- parents and new partner both thought I was wasting my money, partner was mad that I didn't want to spend the weekend going away with him. But tough patooties, you know? I work hard, and take my responsibilities in life seriously. So sometimes I need time to myself, and a little pampering.

We codies tend to think we're indispensible at home, in our families and in our jobs, which leaves us feeling trapped by our responsibilities. I spent a long time in that trap.

But I've come to realize that I deserve a retreat with some pampering once in a while, regardless of whether anyone else gets upset. You deserve a retreat and some pampering too. Think of some way to get it. Your ex and his family do not sound like pleasant people, and focusing on their shortcomings isn't healthy. They are who they are and they are not going to change.

But reserving 3 nights in a hotel in a walkable city with culture and restaurants is a wonderful retreat, and a good way to move on. I used my frequent flyer miles to go to London by myself for 5 nights last year. Stayed in a cheaper hotel in the off-season and ate take out most of the time, so the whole trip ended up costing less than $1000. It was wonderful. So is camping somewhere by the ocean if you don't have a ton of money. I did this last year too -- 5 nights on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.

The main thing is to find some way to treat yourself, and then don't let anything get in the way of your doing it!