View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MisterChill

Ultrasound results are in. Gall bladder/kidneys and what they could see of my pancreas looks perfect. Liver slightly inflamed and diagnosed with fatty liver (as expected and relieved it's not worse).

Doc said absolutely no drinking / exercise / milk thistle / vitamin E / diet plan. I've already been doing these things for the last few weeks so I'll just stick to it. The only unnerving part of the conversation was that if my cholesterol doesn't come down and my enzymes are still elevated at the end of August I may have to get a biopsy. Ultrasounds can only tell so much and scarring / fibrosis can't be accurately evaluated using this method. Thankfully the inflammation is very mild so chances are low that it's anything more than a heavy drinker's fatty liver.

This entire experience has been a major wake-up call. I needed it. My passive second guessing and questioning my drinking was never going to lead me down the road of sobriety. Realizing I was in the early stages of organ damage is pretty unnerving. I'm committed to getting my health where it needs to be and stay there. I've already had multiple lifetimes of what would be considered safe alcohol consumption run through my system. Going back to where I was would be a terrible odds bet with something you can't even put a price on.