Thread: The Beast Stirs
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MesaMan

A coupla tricks in my Arsenal are as follows...

1. Think through various Scenarios

Short of being all OCD about it... Of course, lay out the 'take a separate Car to a Wedding Reception' Response, or 'here's how I'll respond to some Drunk trying to make me do a Shot' Scenario. Take it further, though. How about when I + Da Wife are hangin' with another Couple at Dinner, and a subsequent stop at a Bar is 'all agreed to' while I'm off in the Can? This just happened. I dodged a Bullet. Because my Guy Pal atypically had a 3rd Marg, his Gal Mate nixed the Bar idea while they were driving separately to some Italian Restaurant for a post-Dinner Drink. He called and cancelled from his Vehicle. Otherwise, I was fine with having just one [Lemonade], and then calling it a night. I'll work out in advance my answer for 'next time' so that this doesn't happen again. I.e., tell Da Wife in advance to not agree to such Guano. Not interested. Drinks with their Dinners is fine. A non-issue. I live in a Drinking World, and am getting on - Recovered - just fine. This incident was a 'Teachable Moment', and I learned from it. I won't be blindsided again. By this same Scenario.-)

2. Engage in 'Muscle Memory'

Tiger Woods supposedly hit 500 Golf Balls every morning before doing anything else. This activity commits to 'memory' automatic action. No Cranial activity req'd. I think we Sober types can emulate this, and 'practice' which non-Alcoholic Drinks we order. 'Practice' different Driving Routes home. 'Practice' avoiding, or going down, certain Store Aisles until those Scenarios just don't matter, or threaten Sobriety anymore. 'Practice' answers to Family when they're being persistent - or downright uncool - about Drinking. Ease into these solutions. Practice until your answers roll right off your Lips.

3. Shift 'Drinking' into the Mental Compartment of 'stuff I simply don't do'

Mental discipline, I suppose. I don't take Money left laying out on a Friend's Counter. My Wife doesn't steal Diamond Earrings left on the Bathroom Counter at some Gal Pal's House. Whuuuut? Unthinkable. We all make similar, non-negotiable, Ethical decisions all the time. We don't think a thing of them. Doing 'The Right Thing' just plays out Ethically. Non Drinking, to me, is now as 'easy' or repetitive as 'not stealing'. Not hitting on my Neighbor's Wife. Not cheating on my Taxes.

I don't need to go to Meetings to reinforce Ethical behavior. If someone told me they need Meetings to keep from stealing from me, or to keep from hitting on my Wife, I would seriously question what Ethical Universe they live in. Not mine.

I utterly reject the mindless Mantra of 'Stinking Thinking'. My Mind is my Friend.-) It is the power and the entity, after initially sobering up, to help me 'train into' making what I know to be the right decisions. Read about what any Olympic Athlete has to say re: the role of the Mind in achieving superior results. Emulate that.

Rinse and repeat such decisions, and think through in advance that which you can. A side benefit to this approach is that it addresses - pre-Crisis - a whole lot of what we Sober Folks have to deal with. This means it reduces to 'just a few' the situations that blindside us while we're unprepared. This means we're most likely to make the 'right' non-Drinking decision while on Autopilot, due to already thinking through anticipated Scenarios.

I realize this Post is a bit repetitive. That's the point I'm driving home.-) Repeat choices until good decisions are generally made via Autopilot.