Thread: Anyone else?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
chicory

NOLAgirl,

Oh, for a penny for each time I have thought about it! I live a pretty happy life now, but it was a mess as a child with two alcoholic parents.

I have often wondered what it would have felt like to be cherished as a child. What would I feel like, if I had healthy self esteem? Would I have accomplished much more in life? What would it have been like to be encouraged , or comforted during childhood disappointments? What would it feel like to think my parents my best friends and biggest supporters?

My trials made me who I am. I am strong, and I am really close to my children. They are the greatest things ever to happen to me, and we have everything that I did not have, as far as parent to child.,,,,, and more.....

poor boundaries... too codependent... try too hard to fix things for my kids, making up for what I didn't get from a parent.. those things are not so good.

Thats why I am here. to learn how to be healthier. To build healthy boundaries. To deal with the alcoholism of my son, who lives with me.

Yes, I wonder . I mostly wish alcoholism wasn't inherited *if it is*, and that the disease wasn't so progressive... dysfunction being part of that which is progressive. unless arrested, which is why I am here.

Honestly, I have done that 'dream' thing... just to try to feel the feelings of self confidence, security, and being cherished by my parents. I did it just to see what it feels like. It was pretty neat.

I am glad that we have this forum to share those things.. we are much more alike than we are different, I think.

hugs
chicory