View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
ZaBoozer

Originally Posted by Daylightsavings View Post
Wow... that was ALOT to read. And I learned more and saw more similarities to so many people. I think I may do what you are doing ZaB and journal/post often. When I joined today, I posted that I was going to quit Monday because I have to go to a conference (I drink between 6 and 12 beers a day or 1 or 2 bottles of wine a day... except weekends..then it's ... hard to count ). I will have support of my sister there and be in a different environment but maybe I'll do that today, just maybe. I don't know if I will have DTs or not. I went camping with my cub scouts a few weeks ago and when 36 hours without anything and did sweat a little and felt sort of nauseated. I on occassion, if I have binged over a friday and into saturday night, I will get chills and sweats off and on, but only when i binge which is fairly rare. Anyway, please keep going. You have inspired me.
Hi there DLS,

I saw your post. I think it is a good idea for you to keep your own journal. It's purpose is twofold. If I ever want to drink - I can go back and see just how hard it was to get back some semblance of normalcy. The positive is that I can see my recovery.

I can't tell you whether you will have DT's or not. I can tell you, do not do what I did on your own. If you do decide to do it on your own, make sure someone knows about it and can check on you. If you feel that it is getting out of hand - get thee to an ER. This can be like playing Russian roulette. It gets worse every time we slip and try to sober up.

The sweats, chills, nausea, diarrhea and that sort of thing pass within a few days. The brain mist/fog takes a bit longer.

There is no time like today. In fact there is no time like right now. You are not losing a dear friend or anything like that. You are getting rid of something that can destroy your life. Given half a chance, it will. You have to want this for you though. Wanting it for someone else is not going to work. Think of it like this, you try to get sober to please a partner. The partner leaves. Now what?

The best advice I can give you, try not to think about never being able to drink again. Instead think - I will not drink now. I will not drink today. Baby steps.

You might also want to look at AVRT to deal with your AV when it does pop up. There is AA or SMART if you are so inclined. The more weapons in your arsenal the better chance you have to beat this thing.

I will keep on keeping on, and you will be too. I look forward to reading your journal soon.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

ZAB