View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beeraholic

29 days, then right back into it

Hey everyone. This site is awesome and I am finding it helpful.

About 7 weeks ago I decided after many years of trying to limit my drinking to finally give it up for good. On the second day I told my wife and while not shocked, was a bit surprised. I am not physically addicted and I don't have more than 4-6 beers a day (for over two years I have kept a log of how many beers I have every day and average just over 4 per day) but as I get older the toll it takes on my body the next day has become too much.

I started a journal documenting all my firsts and all my reasons for quitting. My wife is infinitely supportive. She is actually 7 months pregnant right now and never drank much to begin with and has said she doesn't miss it at all and might not really drink again. I envy her for that.

But about three weeks in, after a hard couple of weeks and easier third week, I set my eyes on a beer and food festival I had been looking forward to for months. I started working to convince myself and my wife that I had learned a lot from my nearly month sober and was ready to try to be a normal drinker. I truly believed that.

I didn't really get drunk but had a great time and felt good about where I was at. But since then, haven't been drunk often but have had beer every day but one and I feel like I am right back into my old groove.

I have set my sights on June 1st as my new quitting day. If it happens earlier I will be happy about that too. So look for me to be in here a lot and hopefully sharing a success story!