Old 05-27-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
WOW that's incredible, literally. Second hand information passed along as fact. Not only is it passed along as fact, but it comes complete with a nonsensical 'motivation' of 'competition' strong enough to generate death threats . I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read this.

What is the nature of this motivation to stamp out the "competition"? Is it financial? I don't think so. Nobody financially benefits from AA. There are no dues of fees. Perhaps it has something to do with power, prestige or fame. No, I don't think that's it either. AA members are anonymous. Perhaps the 'competitive' motivation is religious? Well that seems absurd on it's face, especially because the power greater than self can literally be anything, from ocean waves to doorknobs.

" AA operates effectively as a sober mafia"... "some of the resistance that exists has been carefully orchestrated".

It's truly amazing what some people can be lead to believe.
If you would like a first hand account I can tell you that Ive been bullied, harassed, verbally attacked, had people wish ill will on my family; hoping my husband would relapse back to opiates, wishing my dog would be run over and killed by a car. Ive seen all kinds of backhanded, passive aggressive tricks to keep alternative programs from being shared in 12 step dominated arenas. Ive had counselors who are trained in 12 step and who have supposedly come out the other side and are now helping others; tell me they don’t know anything else, don’t have a desire to learn anything else, and when other ideas are brought in it causes outrage among 12 step cliques and its not worth the hassle for the counselor to deal with it. The 12 step is their bread and butter so they want to keep them happy. Ive been told alternative programs could be shared but we need to break the program down and only share parts that sort of resemble 12 step and leave out the rest, but if it peaks anyones interest - they will have heard of it, and can pursue it on their own, and then we can also let people know we offer alternatives at our facility. LOL Ive been told 12 step programs have earned their respect, and other programs have to do the same, and I should be grateful a basic flyer is even posted. Ive also been witness to said flyer having been removed as soon as they think you’ve walked out the door. Ive worked with people and heard them share experiences that are just as bad or worse.. unless you have been in the position of introducing alternative programs into 12 step environments, then I doubt anyone can imagine how strong the forces of protection are, or what lengths some people will go to in order to maintain their stronghold in this industry. Is it this way everywhere, absolutely not.. but in many places it still is. Time will change things in my opinion because you cant stop progress.

That’s my experience at least.. luckily I have not had death threats, but my husband has joked many times about getting bullet proof glass for our home.