Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
AA operates effectively as a sober mafia, and has spent years building influence with local rehabs and boards that certify them. Another guy I know in the Denver area actually got death threats (Yes! Incredible!) from local AA people for starting up "competing" secular recovery groups on AA turf. So some of the resistance that exists has been carefully orchestrated by people who view rehabs as a source of new members and potential converts. Just the way it is.
WOW that's incredible, literally. Second hand information passed along as fact. Not only is it passed along as fact, but it comes complete with a nonsensical 'motivation' of 'competition' strong enough to generate death threats . I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read this.

What is the nature of this motivation to stamp out the "competition"? Is it financial? I don't think so. Nobody financially benefits from AA. There are no dues of fees. Perhaps it has something to do with power, prestige or fame. No, I don't think that's it either. AA members are anonymous. Perhaps the 'competitive' motivation is religious? Well that seems absurd on it's face, especially because the power greater than self can literally be anything, from ocean waves to doorknobs.

" AA operates effectively as a sober mafia"... "some of the resistance that exists has been carefully orchestrated".

It's truly amazing what some people can be lead to believe.