Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
BlueChair

The idea of alternatives not having as many face to face meetings is valid right now, but I also feel the need to ask what is the exact benefit of going to a meeting? Does this act need to be re-examined? With Smart for example, you can go online 24/7 and chat, post, go to online meetings, get certified attendance for people who need this to meet req, you can cross talk. But the idea of the meetings are generally to help a person learn specific tools/skills so they retain control and self reliance. The group doesnt take on the same role for the individual in my opinion. Smart says people can keep up support for as long as they wish but the idea of "reliance on group" is different I think. Several people on this thread have shared how SR has helped, and I think over time one can establish a network of friends in recovery online, socialization. Thought Id toss this idea out there because maybe society also needs to rework ideas of support, and its not always about a need to be sitting physically in a meeting. My husband doesnt use support groups. He doesnt really have friends in recovery at all. I have met supportive friends through SR and Smart online.