Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
This is interesting too. I think the premise for rehab is supposed to be the scientific, medical view because its evidence based. We know about the brain and chemicals . This is what my husbands rehab taught. Science doesnt dictate addiction is spiritual condition or any ideas about being powerless. Ive never seen it presented at least. think it depends on what kind of rehab a person selects as to what line of thinking they present to their patients. Great thread by the way.
I think the premise for rehab appears on some levels to be scientific (at least the rehabs I have attended and studied) but its more of a mix, and I have to say in my observation the Science sometimes comes in a poor second. Its not that the science, the brain chemistry, the disease model, the psychology and other well researched information is woven into the rehab programs its mixing together of messages that can turn it into more pseudo science. The picture of the brain on the wall some how gets less attention than the "expect a miracle" sign over the door.

"Science doesn't dictate that addiction is spiritual condition or any ideas about being powerless"
Actually science doesn't dictate anything, its a method,. People however do dictate this stuff, its undeniably part of the operations of many rehabs. My point with all this it can be a confusing mix of messages.