Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Miamifella has a great point, I think.

My experience came from a twenty day outpatient program I attended for four hours per day. They encouraged, but didn't require us, to go to AA meetings. The rehab itself was 12 Step based, which I did have an issue with initially. As things progressed, I became more open-minded about it, and eventually did attend some AA meetings. Ultimately, they weren't a good experience for me.

What I did make note of, however, was the inclusion of Women For Sobriety meetings on our rehab meeting list. So when I saw that, I had better feelings about the whole thing. At least, I thought, they included one other program offering.

I've read Anne Fletcher's first book, Sober For Good. And I read that many years before I finally got sober. I'd also attended SMART and WFS meetings by the time I ended up checking myself into that day IOP program. So, I don't think I presented as someone "fresh" onto the rehab/recovery scene, and thankfully, I was already armed with some objective information about my choices.

I do hope that the future will bring changes to rehab policy and offerings. I trust that things will go in a more progressive, and increasingly, a more scientific evidence based direction.