Thread: Recovery Plan
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

The evolution of my plan...

It started with twenty days of IOP (intensive outpatient), some AA meetings (which were encouraged in the IOP program), some individual counseling with a therapist, exercise, healthier eating, vitamins, reading lots and lots of different recovery books (which I have listed on my profile page here), SR of course (reading & regular posting), and daily devotional readings from a few different books.

Later on I dropped the AA meetings but I continued to read some of the literature, I started meditating, I loosened up my rigid eating and exercise plan to something more enjoyable and sustainable, I posted less frequently here at SR... and most importantly, I began to reconstruct my life and lay out both short and long term goals and plans. I started back reading and writing. My reading comprehension improved greatly over a two year span. I spend more time writing than ever before.

I have now begun some small biz endeavors.

I started planting things in my yard and cleaned up my house. I completely revamped my clothes closet. My book collection continues to grow and is filled with all the books I could possibly ever read in this lifetime. I began a tea collection and am now journaling and documenting my thoughts about the different teas I try.

I adopted two beagle dogs. They are my kids. They teach me how to live in the now and appreciate what really matters in this life - fresh air to breathe, food to eat, time for play and exercise, cuddling, and love

My husband and I are paying off our credit cards and getting ready to fix up our house so that we can rent it out. We will then build a cabin on some land. That is our ultimate long-term goal. My personal goals include more world travel. I haven't been to nearly enough countries yet!

So my recovery plan evolved over the past two years and works well for me. I believe that staying open to change, being willing to try new things, learning to be kind to yourself, and embracing the differences you see in others, and being willing to tweak things as you go along is important.

Being honest with myself is another thing. Being willing to accept feedback. And being ok with sitting in discomfort. Those are all big things I had to learn.

Here are the programs I have used and continue to incorporate at least a part of into my daily life:
SMART
Women For Sobriety
RR/AVRT
AA