View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MrPoutine

Hi Autumn - I felt somewhat like you about AA, I certainly felt that I didn't speak the right language, plus I didn't get much from the drunkalogues. For a while I thought there was something wrong with me because AA had been pushed as the only way to get sober at the detox establishment that I frequented. I tried different meetings until I found 2 that I liked the best, and which I attended regularly for 18 months, and I had a sponsor that I got on with pretty well with, but I don't think AA helped me to quit.

After a few months I also started attending weekly meetings on quitting addiction that were run by a social services agency in town, with a social worker as group leader. It was quite an eye-opener, as the social worker was completely neutral about AA, and did not push anyone to join AA. Also I found that almost all the other clients had tried AA for various lengths of time, but did not connect with it for various reasons. I also found these meeting much more useful to me than AA, plus I looked forward to going to the meetings, and generally had more in common with the people there than at AA. I realised that there was nothing wrong with me for not liking AA - I think there is about a 50/50 split between people who get AA and people who don't.

My advise is to look around for different types of recovery meetings.

BTW, I have been alcohol-free for over 2 years and 4 months, and have not gone to an AA meeting for about 2 years.