View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I have lived a drinking life, even if I didn't always drink. It is endemic to our society.
Navigating alcohol as a rite of passage. Other than observing those around us in our respective communities, how could anyone have prepared for a life mixed with booze? One big crap shoot.

Here's a little of my initiation:

Smoking started for me at age 14 while at a state DNR summer work camp. As all the kids were under 18, those who smoked and whose parents signed a waiver were allowed to smoke while there. Smokers and non-smokers alike became fast friends - of course, the first smoke had to be a Marlboro Red, hard pack. What else?

Camp was the most interesting place. With thousands of applicants, my spot was secured by writing a winning essay. The first week of work a scary boy was kicked out of camp for trying to organize an orgy in the forest. His spot was earned through court mandate as he had attempted homicide and, being a juvenile, it was work camp or detention. So there were two ways to participate. Great mix of kids. Great time.

Initiation into my drinking community came one night before a weekend of rock climbing with a guide and 2 older friends. In the twilight of small town America there was a barn dance with $0.50 taps of Miller Lite. For a 14-year old this was pure magic.

Following the dance was an open field, a case of Leinenkugels and a bottle of Wild Turkey. After which we realized that we had forgotten our tent. Lucky for us there was an abandoned trailer available as it had also started to rain. In the morning I woke covered in flea bites and with a hangover that was a harbinger of years to come.

Thanks ArtFriend for the opportunity to shuffle down memory lane. I've never written these stories down anywhere. Sorry mods if I broke any rules, it was unintentional.