Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Rehabs are big business and they have been developed around methods of 12 step facilitation for decades. A lot of the rehabs are only now being forced to offer evidence based treatments like CBT and having clients spend more time working with licensed therapists because this type of treatment is being mandated by insurance companies following the lead of health officials who say these behavioral treatments work best. Support groups are considered an add on to professional treatment, but many rehabs are still stuck on this being THE treatment. Its all they know and are trained for. I know Smart is being offered as an alternative for support in lots of rehabs now. Its growing but I think its because of efforts to get it out there and present it as an alternative. But people also have to begin demanding these options or say no to the facility. My inlaws spent a lot of time picking out my husbands rehab to make sure he was getting what would fit him best, and went with one didnt use the AA model. But you know I was so upset at the time he needed inpatient, my husband was hospitalized, and not sure alone I could have weeded through the choices and thought long term what was best and I think this is what it comes down to also. Initial treatment might be an emergency but long term its hard to stop and say what will work best and how do I want to live my life, whats available and where can I find it.