View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by samseb5351 View Post
I would suggest that reality is independent from how I view it. This however is one of those philosophical conundrums, so in context of our discussion I am expressing the idea that I live my life with an attitude to align what I believe to be true to what is real (independent reality). The best method I know of to do this is really the Scientific method, involving, investigation, evidence, critical thinking, falsification. Even when I am talking about my own action/reaction to things, emotions and thoughts (as in your example) this method works, not always to discover new reality based facts but especially in recovery to get Crap out of the way.
I agree, but I wasn't talking about objective facts but rather attitudes. For instance, say you get fired from a job you disliked. Objectively you are no longer employed. That isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just a statement of fact.

In dealing with being fired we get to the 90/10 idea. You can view it as a negative, looking at the fact that you now need to look for a job, you have bills you worry about paying, etc. Or you can remember that you hated the job and just needed a push. Maybe you'll take a month to start writing a book, or go back to school. You move on from an objective look at the facts to deciding how to proceed with your life. Inasmuch as one's life it in one's own control, how you perceive the situation is more important than objective facts.

So we all have our own opinions but not our own facts!