View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

I have told him this will be my reaction every time he drinks. I will take my daughter and our other child once born and leave. When he stops drinking we can come home.

What an exhausting way to live. You and your children's lives will be completely at the mercy of his choice to drink. It seems like an untenable situation, honestly, to be dragging a toddler and pretty soon a newborn out of the house in the middle of the night because your husband got drunk.
I know because I tried this "solution" for awhile with my ex. It worked, after a fashion, until I got exhausted, nothing changed and I realized that I might very well spend the rest of my life fleeing the house at all hours, waking the kids in the middle of the night (school nights included), in all kinds of weather (spring and summer we could always go to the beach or park, but with 2 feet of snow on the ground in freezing temperatures it was a lot harder to find a place to go) all so my ex could be home, comfortable with his bottle. He never felt one iota of guilt over it, though he frequently got angry at me for excluding him from our "excursions."
No, life with an active alcoholic and small children never gets any easier.
If your husband wants real support he needs to get it from alcoholics in recovery. Those are the people who will be able to truly help him and hold him accountable, if that's what he really wants.