View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hi, Barralba, and welcome to SR. I'm sorry you had the need to come to a site like this but glad you found us. This is a great source of both education and support, and I hope you get a generous dose of each while you're here.

The first thing you might want to do here is read around on the forum as much as you can. I think you'll be surprised at how similar so many of the stories are. This is important, as it will help you understand that A) you are NOT alone, and B) your A is not unique; alcoholism looks a lot the same on different people. This is helpful in starting to detach emotionally and take a hard look at what the relationship is really like, not what you wish it was or hope it could be.

While reading, don't miss the stickies at the top of the page. There is a lot of concentrated wisdom there. This thread is a sample of what you'll find there: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

Others have already mentioned Alanon for your own face-to-face support, and I'd recommend that too. SR and Alanon together have done a lot for me--my life is much more peaceful and happy as a result.

Again, as others have said, your A is the only one who can decide when/if he gets sober. You have no power over that. The only person you DO have power over is yourself. You're probably feeling a bit overwhelmed right now, and that's understandable. You don't have to make any "forever" decisions right this minute (other than to make sure you're safe from his abuse--somewhere else for you to stay if he's been drinking or other safety measures?). Just read, post, learn and take care of yourself.

Everyone here has been in your shoes and gets it. Keep coming back.

I wish you strength and clarity.