View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sauerkraut

counting sober days?

Hi,
Last week my AH allowed me to come to his doctor's appointment, which was a big milestone, and he promised his doctor and himself that he's staying sober for a month, attending SMART meetings, and doing the exercises that program recommends. (Then he wants to try moderation, which I can't even think about right now.) So far he has almost a week sober.

Is it helpful to a recovering person to draw attention to their days of sobriety? Is that why other programs emphasize one day at a time but also recognize the days, weeks, months, and years that someone has stayed sober?

I'm trying to figure out the best ways to support my husband. He makes a point of telling me that he's not drinking, and in the back of my head I'm thinking maybe we should start a star chart, like we used with our kids. I'm being facetious, but I guess what he's saying is he does want acknowledgement, right? From my side, I fear becoming his babysitter or referee, or in any way responsible for his drinking/not drinking. God knows, however, that I'd rather be counting days of sobriety than empty vodka bottles.

What have you all have found are effective ways of reinforcing your partners' sobriety?