View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Falseclaimsact View Post
I have the insane idea in my head that "dinner with my sponsor" and "going to a meeting" are just cover stories for going out to get high. The insane part is that I thought AA was some sacred place that like, you couldn't pretend you were sober if you weren't. Like somehow there was a chalk circle drawn around that space and in it, an addict couldn't lie.

He chaired an AA meeting last week and asked me to attend, which I did. Is this to prove that he's going/has gone? I met his sponsor, who actually exists--but we did not chat (not that I expected to get a report).

"Going to meetings" coincides with other behaviors I've flagged as active using (nodding out, dishonesty about money). I just wonder if he's really struggling with getting clean, or creating a diversion to protect his lies. The former would be encouraging, but the latter would really tick me off.
Meetings are whatever the attendee makes them.

My niece, for example, has taken AA very seriously. She's crashed and burned once, and from what I can tell, she doesn't want to do that again.

My AXGF, by way of comparison, went to NA meetings, but she never committed to becoming a more accountable, responsible adult. It's very easy for someone to go through the motions. It's more work to face things about yourself that are difficult to face.