View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Sounds like the teaching course is - yes, weirdly - apposite in timing. Possibly counter-intuitive, that, for many people in a similar situation as you, but oddly, I have a gut feeling (without even 'knowing' you really) that it is likely to be quite therapeutic for you. And what with the current personal scene for you, I well imagine that you will be engaging at a deeper level with the, um, 'material' AND your students.

Yeah, keep looking after yourself too in all the good small ways.
Vic
Thanks, Vic.

I haven't yet decided on whether or not I'll share my current experience with my students. It's a very small class, so that's not an issue, but I also don't want my stuff to become their stuff either. We'll see.

I've talked about some losses I've experienced earlier in life, and the time lapse makes it less jarring for them and me. I think it would be odd of me to say nothing about any of my experiences of grief, death and dying, especially since my students feel free to share their own experiences in class, and that's a good thing. For all of us.

In part because I've taken on some additional responsibilities lately, I'm now dealing with additional stress. I've had a specific kind of lower back pain since Monday, an easily identifiable stress response for me that I haven't experienced in years. I've also been eating more out of necessity than pleasure -- I eat whatever is easiest to eat -- so my diet has taken a nose dive. This is only one reason why I sometimes emphasize here on SR why it's so important to put things in place in our sober lives in order to successfully ride out life's inevitable challenges. It's often too late to wait until the **** hits the fan to mobilize ourselves in the service of staying safe and sane. I do, after all, practice what I preach.

Saw my therapist on Friday for my monthly "check-up." I can easily schedule extra sessions with her if need be, but that time has not yet come. My daily training continues to be a big help. Of course, the support I see and get here on SR makes a difference, even when it's not people responding to my comments. It's that kind of place.