View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by AnybodyNobody View Post
The bat scenario is scarier than I thought and really what has me wrapped around the axle right now. The cats vaccines had lapsed so if the bat is rabid they will likely have to be put down due to their exposure.
Ya, that's pretty standard. We have bats in the attic here, and once in a great while (it's happened twice in 8 years), one will get into our apartment -- the last time one got in, I killed it with a tennis racket (I know you're not supposed to do that, but the thing wouldn't fly out the window, so what was I supposed to do?). I would not even tell the vet about it, because their hands are tied by law -- as you found out, they are required to euthanize a cat that even might have come in contact with a rabid bat. So we just don't go there at all -- if we thought one of them had been exposed, we'd just lock them in a room and ride it out for a week or so until either they got sick or they didn't, and regulatory authorities need not be the wiser. But most bats aren't rabid anyway -- there's a lot of public hysteria about it, but it's not that common....

T