View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AnybodyNobody

Apparently the hospital didn't call my sister when they were going to release my mother, as they said they would. She was released at 3am and they said she took a cab. Sister plans on going out to her house if she can't get ahold of her by phone (so far no answer).

My sister is definitely still holding the rope. But I have to let her make her own choices about how involved with the drama she wants to be. I hope my mother chooses to seek treatment but since a) I have zero control over that and b) I have much more pressing things on my plate right now, I am just going to try to go about my life. Still pondering how to/whether to acknowledge Mother's Day to AM today... feeling the tug of FOG there.

The bat scenario is scarier than I thought and really what has me wrapped around the axle right now. The cats vaccines had lapsed so if the bat is rabid they will likely have to be put down due to their exposure. There is no way to test a live animal for rabies and the only other option is a 6 month quarantine in a state facility. I can't imagine the financial cost and the psychological effect that would have on them, and there is no guarantee they wouldn't get sick within that time frame and have to be put down anyway. I feel deep regret that I let their vaccines lapse. They are my fur babies and I would never forgive myself if they lost their lives because of me. The hopeful side is that in my state, on average only 5% of bats captured test positive, and in the first quarter of this year, out of the 111 bats tested, none have tested positive.