Old 05-08-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Happy Friday evening fellow North Americans, and a very late greeting those in the UK - I'm sure everyone in Great Britain is happy to see the election coverage come to a close. That's one good thing about the end of an election, even if your choice didn't win!

A peaceful evening here. Of course, just when I thought I had gotten away from it all, I read that Krispy Kreme is opening up 17 stores in Guatemala soon. In my home town here we've also got Dunkin' Donuts, Subway, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc, etc. etc. For cripes sakes, isn't anything off limits to big business?!?!?

Anyway, there are certainly none of those stores up here in the wilderness. Happy to be here. It's been a great week up here on the lake. Just got back from a swim, thinking about taking one of the kayaks out tomorrow morning at sunrise. I'm certainly going to at least take a water taxi over to one of the more lively towns and have lunch and kick around tomorrow, as I have a full day with nothing to do but sight-see. As for tonight, I'm going to watch a baseball game (streaming live on MLB.TV!) and a movie. Cooking up some pasta, chicken, and avocado to enjoy on the terrace here at sunset. Stay sober all - a beautiful, fun, and open Saturday morning awaits!

PS - I was thinking in the shower today (go figure) about how animals who spend a long time in a zoo often won't leave their cages, even if they are left open. A lion, tiger, rhino or camel who's spent too many years behind bars will simply be too timid to explore the outside world. A person watching them would wonder why they don't run free! But they are unable to comprehend life outside of their enclosure, and in the end they prefer to stick to the world they KNOW, even though life outside the cage would be a huge improvement. Kind of reminded me of my drinking days behind the doors of my apartment. And how I had no clue how to live my life as a sober adult. I simply could not comprehend a life without alcohol, and had no idea how to go about living outside the cage I'd created for myself.

This weekend, we gather here to celebrate our liberation from those cages. Whether it's mental, spiritual, or physical, we are finding that life outside of alcoholism is an amazing thing. For those still in that cage, or just stepping out...come join us. It's grand out here in SoberLand!