Thread: Unhappy Hour
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Thanks everybody for the advice and support. The event is on Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes. I may even be giving you all play by plays depending on how loud the AV is while I am there. Regardless of what the AV says, I'm not going to drink. I might go to the bathroom every 5 minutes to talk to you all but I'd rather let everyone think I have a medical condition rather than compromise my sobriety! I really am so glad for all of you. I think the anticipation and the nerves of the event happening at all was more of a trigger (I have pretty bad social anxiety) than the event will even be. So thank you all for keeping me sane these last few days.

Originally Posted by thwsmith33 View Post
I would probably suggest NOT turning anything back around on a co-worker, especially if you're new at the job and there's higher-ups there...it can come across as a bit pious and arrogant... That being said, I'd also say to set yourself a time deadline - if the HH starts at 5:00, plan to be on the road by 6:00 (or whatever). Take initiative in the conversations so you don't feel bored and want to order up. Plan to do something else tonight when you get home...maybe some exercise, like a long walk. Just my thoughts...
I agree, I am going to stay until 550-555 and tell them when I'm leaving that I have to catch the 615 train (which won't be untrue!) The benefit is that the next one is an hour after that so if anyone asks why I don't stay longer, I'll have an honest and valid reason. I feel so much better having all of this planned out in my mind, just because I know how I'm going to react and respond and most importantly: protect my sobriety. I think if I feel that tempted while I'm there, I'll feign a stomach ache and leave earlier.

I agree, I probably won't turn it around on my coworkers since they don't know me and people in the city tend to pry unintentionally. I definitely think I'll turn it around on my friends and family members when they are tempting me though!

Thank you everyone again!!!