View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MarathonMan

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
An alcoholic parent/s and family certainly exposes you to greater risk - statistics prove that beyond doubt. I personally believe it's probably genetic or some sort of inherited defect. Whilst I know a lot of people started drinking due to work / social circles etc I remember feeling driven and wanting to drink more when I started and I couldn't stomach booze. (I learnt - lol).
My four siblings are all alcoholic. My father never drunk until he was about 40 due to his religion and went ballistic the minute he started - within 6 months it ended as his marriage was on the line. I know in his family there are non drinkers and alcoholics. I've also found out in the last few years that the at least 2 non drinkers are recovering alcoholics. Whilst alcohol is the common theme the households and characters are all different and my fathers family home was alcohol free hence I think defect / gene or something more than nurture. That would fit my drive to drink which I never discussed with my younger brother but I could see it in him too.
In that regard I was talking only about myself and mindset when I was saying I own my own problem for my own benefit.
Interesting that you mention that drive to drink....I had that from a young age and don't think it was a learnt behavior.......I always wanted to get drunk, I always drank with purpose even from the very beginning as child of 12-13 years old. I never eased into drinking it was like I just had to try it for the first time and I knew what I wanted to do with.