View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Mamamacx2 View Post
Thank you for your response. I need the support. I feel so alone in this. My friends think I am crazy for being with an addict and think that I can do better. Not one friend is supportive. I am 41 and was in a bad marriage for 15 years and they think that I deserve better.

Then when I go home I live with this disconnected recovering alcoholic. I have never been lonlier and just wonder if its worth it.
some of the very best people I know are recovered alcoholics.

I wonder how many of your friends quietly suffer from their own sexual fears and self-esteem issues and regularly drink to avoid dealing with their problems.....

Never mind what your friends think. The only person who decides what is "good enough" for you is YOU.

If you are with a recovering alcoholic who is genuinely invested in sobriety and making all he can out of his life - then chances are good you will find on the other side of these challenges a man who more deeply knows himself and is more deeply able to be present and sincere and loving and good than the average modern-day folk are capable of.

Is there risk in that?

Sure.

But there's just as much risk of being with a 'good upstanding non-alcoholic successful guy' who drinks 'responsibly' every day and it wholly detached from who he really is, faking your way through a marriage in some picture-perfect life that secretly, quietly and soul-crushingly sucks.

If people were to judge less, and seek to understand more - the world may be a far brighter place.