Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vimes

Thanks a lot to all those that replied so far, reading your thoughts and learning about your experiences is very helpful.

"I got sick of not doing anything that I used to love to do. That will never happen to me again. "
I like this quote!

In response to Hawk07, I didnt particularly feel uncomfortable. It was a family event, and after 1 year of successfully staying sober, I felt I could handle 1 drink. Big mistake. Turning back to old patterns was as easy as 1-2-3. I now know that no matter how long I've been sober, total abstinence is probably the only way.

For me the sports approach was truly life saving. Being an "overthinker", engaging in daily sports not only allowed me to spend some time not really thinking about anything, but it also tired me out, and released some of those "good feeling" substances into my brain, without the alcohol. To some point, its like "lets go for a run" instead of "lets have a drink".
Its mostly replacing one obsession with another, but one that is much more healthy.

Right now my problem is breaking out of this daily hungover feeling, and going back to sports, and recapturing the mindset I had.
After 3 weeks of daily binging, this is harder than it seems. (well perhaps not to some of you, you know exactly what I'm talking about)

As some more background, I am (un?)fortunate enough to do my work from home. Hiding alcohol abuse is very easy in this case, and I've noticed a lot of people struggle with similar situations.