Thread: Unhappy Hour
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Originally Posted by DreaJean View Post
I just had this happen and I was nervous too....I ordered a club soda (after going to the bathroom ahead of time to let the group settle) I positioned myself to be asked 'later' (not first), what I wanted, and later, when I was offered a drink, I said I had to get going soon and no one cared that I didn't drink. I will say, strangely, I did notice (not judge, noticed), a co-worker quickly drank 4 straight vodkas shots, not a beer whatsoever, within the first hour of said Happy Hour, and I would say, that's what was being noticed. As well, he came to work and had to leave early b/c he felt quite ill. I felt sad to see that, but was a reminder that I was doing the right thing! I do think that sometimes people will bluntly ask and in that case, less is more, so have fun, be confident, and Congrats on 57 days! Awesome job!
That's genius to be positioned last to order your drink! At that point everyone has ordered and is already chatting and not paying attention. And you made a great point I hadn't realized - usually when drinking is involved, it's the heaviest drinker who is noticed not the one who isn't drinking. And even if everyone is drinking heavily, they probably won't remember little old me who ordered a soda