Thread: Unhappy Hour
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Another thought: There may be other co-workers there not drinking! Just because they show up for an office hangout doesn't mean they're all drinkers as well. You could have some support there and not even know it yet!
I hope some/even one of them doesn't drink. All of my friends are still somewhat heavy drinkers so I incorrectly assume most/everyone drinks. Occasionally I feel this unspoken obligation to drink with them and almost like I'm letting them down if I don't. I know that's not true and all in my head but I just want to make everyone happy and can feel like the wet blanket (again I know this isn't true and it's in my head because that's how I felt when I was getting plastered daily and would be upset when others wouldn't drink with me because it made it more obvious I had a problem). But I know I am fun sober and am getting better at accepting that these thoughts are not genuine concerns.

I don't know these people yet, so like you and others have said there might be some non-drinker allies which I would never have known to be non-drinkers if I skipped the event!

Thank you for letting me rant and for the help and positivity. I really needed to hear this today; I've relapsed at/around 60 days before but that won't happen this time I've got SR on speed dial.