Thread: Unhappy Hour
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Thank you everyone for your support and advice! I totally agree with having a plan On The Road and Lance! I didn't think about it, but actually having a set time I will stay there like half an hour or so as others mentioned and I think I'll set a plan for why I'm leaving in case anyone notices me sneak out. I'll definitely be ordering a kiddie cocktail or something since it'll look close enough to the real thing.

I just want all my new coworkers to like me so much that I want to make sure I have all of my 'sober devices' with me to make sure I don't end up drinking as my failed attempt to get my coworkers to like me and accept me as part of the group. You all have given me so much advice and comfort, though. You're right that I don't owe anyone an explanation for not drinking. People don't usually notice things like that and I bet I'm imaging the event far worse in my head just out of normal paranoia. I keep forgetting that not everyone obsesses over drinking like I do, so most won't even notice me not drinking.

Also, thank you to those of you who commented on me having a fresh start and the ability to establish myself as a non-drinker! I can't believe I didn't see it that way, instead I saw this as a situation where I'd be letting people down by not drinking with the team. So thank you all for helping me remain calm, create a strategic plan to enjoy the event but get our before it's too late, and helping me see the silver lining!

I KNOW I can do this and I'm going to keep reminding myself that if abstaining from alcohol will not be letting anyone down other than myself. Thank you thank you thank you all! The event was re-scheduled for next week so I will let you know how it goes I know I'll have SR easily accessible ... Just in case