View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
noexcuse

I'm mad at myself for not posting on my own thread yesterday - I start reading through the threads that I've been associating with, and by the time I'm done catching up, I barely have time to post myself!

Yesterday, I woke up early, got the kids up, showered, and we all headed to an open AA breakfast meeting. It was spectacular. The speakers were amazing. One of them, who I have known for awhile, brought tears to my eyes. I never knew his story, and it was powerful. At the end, he mumbled something about having a hard time keeping it short, and I wanted to tell him I could have listened to him all morning.

The rest of the day was spent running the kids around. Usually, any time the kids want to play with their friends, they invite their friends to our house. That gets me off the hook from driving, freeing up my day for drinking. Needless to say, some of the friends have never come back to our house after reporting back to their parents. I'm happy to say that I was the one out and driving and getting everyone safely to where they needed to be. I even went shopping and cooked some Greek chicken for dinner before my husband got home. It was wonderful.....but after accomplishing so much, last night, I got my first bad craving. No worries, I looked at it for what it was, played the tape all the way through, and didn't act on anything. But it does show me that I have to find another 'reward' after working hard and being responsible other than turning to the bottle. Perhaps it's time to look into a new no-kids-allowed show on Netflix to get into. If only Orange is the New Black would start sooner...

So here I am on the other side of my first sober weekend. I feel good. I'm still having drinking dreams every night, but the beginning detox BS is behind me. I'm at work on a Monday with a clear head and plan to get a lot accomplished this morning. (If they knew how little I normally did on Mondays before, they probably would have told me not to bother to come in.)

In other news, we have officially scheduled a vacation to Florida for September! We were supposed to go over spring break, but that's when my husband and my drinking and fighting came to a head and the trip had to be cancelled. Disney World and all. I know it's too early to say we are on track, but we can only push it so far out before we lose our $. So September it is. We should both have some sober time under our belts by then and besides, this trip is really for our kids, not us. They deserve some happiness after the ugliness us parents have put them through.

Here's to another sober week, SR. Happy to be sharing this with you.