Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DuhDave

Welcome Scooter.
I feel your pain and frustration. I too am over weight and full blown alcoholic.

In 2011 I was able to stay sober for 6 months. The first 21 days I dropped 12 pounds and not even trying. Over the next 5 1/2 months I lost 51 pounds and didny really try that hard. I was just more careful about what I ate and how much. When I began to see the weight "falling" off me, I got more interested in excercise and that helped as well.

The human body needs fuel to run on. You need to burn about 2500 calories a day just to live. If you just set in a chair all day you would still need the 2500 calories to survive.

The body prefers alcohol as a fuel over any other form of fuel (Carbohydrates, fats, protien, and starches). Unfortunately Alcohol calories are "empty calories". They contain no nutrients what so ever. When we drink our bodies burns alcohol calories first and formost and the "Food" calories are stored away as fat. In addition, once ingested, alcohol is converted into sugar and partially used for fuel by the body. The rest is stored.

This why it is extremely difficult to lose weight, if at all, while drinking.

I would also add...at about my 6 month point, I made a classic "Early Sobriety" mistake and "Drank at Somebody" ! Four months later I had gained ALL my weight back PLUS another 15 pounds! Sixty-Six pounds total.

This is not medical advise I'am offering. This has been my own experience about alcohol and weight loss. For the benefit of others I share my experience freely with the hope that it helps.

DD