Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cambie03

Husband doesn't understand my sobriety :(

Hi all,

1 month 11 days sober here and I couldn't have done it without the support of so many in this community and your constant feedback, so I wanted to start this post by saying THANK YOU!

In less fun news, I had a big argument with my husband last night. He's generally been supportive of my sobriety (I've let him continue drinking but just not my favorite drinks - i.e. anything wine related). However, last night he said I've been cranky and irritable ever since I stopped drinking, and motivationless.

I want him to understand just how hard this is. I went from having an easy outlet for my pain (drinking) to suddenly feeling a lot of difficult emotions which I don't know how to deal with (I'm in therapy for that). I'm also doing everything else I used to do (haven't taken a day off work, attending important social activities/birthday parties etc) and sometimes doing these things is just really really hard for me because I'm used to drink away my work stress and my social anxiety. So yes, work and socializing feels new to me, and does make me a crankier than before.

I don't understand how HE doesn't understand that me being sober and healthy, even in a raw emotional state, is so much better than me taking down bottles of wine at night, drinking during the day to fill my emotional void, throwing up daily in the bathroom from the drinking , and then living with constant broken blood vessels, which caused the cycle to continue.

Plus... this is ME now, not drinking, who he's never met before because I've always been drinking heavily since we met. Doesn't he like me, just me?

I'm not sure if this is just a one time fight or if this is a bigger issue, but I feel like he needs to understand the pain I have been going through to understand why I'm acting cranky.

Anyone else in the same boat or have any advice to offer?