Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
midgetcop
L'il fighter

Hi justin. Your drinking sounds a bit like mine, in that I had a lot of sober time that would be hijacked by binging relapses. And each time I'd end a binge I'd SWEAR to myself that 'this was the last time'. And at the time, I'd mean it with every fibre of my being.

But it wasn't enough. It truly wasn't about willpower. I thought I was doing the right thing by seeing an addictions counsellor every week or so, but she finally encouraged me to seek more intensive treatment.

The tentative answer for me was to go to treatment. For a long time I thought treatment was for people a whole lot worse off than I was (LOL!), you know, people who were fall down drunk every day. But that was just a subconscious rationalization for me to keep f'ing up. But I went, I think it was a great first step for me to treat the 'ism' in my alcoholism.

As for telling people - I think it's only useful as far as protecting myself, or needing a shoulder to lean on. People close to me know, so that they know not to wave any alcohol in my face not knowing that I'm in recovery. But beyond that, it's not really anyone's business.

Anyhoo, these are just my experiences and opinions. Best wishes going forward, and I hope you find your path to recovery.