Thread: Secrets
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I told my sponsor my secrets in my 5th step. I trust her and she has never given me any reason not to continue with that belief.

There was one secret that I did not leave with my sponsor as it was part of an amends. It was to my mother and it was a lie I told her when I was 16. I am now 46. I would not have told her if she had not reacted to a third party in a harsh way and I wanted to make sure that I was making amends not only for the lie but what my actions caused her to do. I still owe an amends to the third party but have not been able to locate her.

At the time she did not seem to really be affected by it. She was surprised but seem to let it go and forgave me for all of my amends, so she said, but later when we had a falling out she blabbed my secret to my children and other family members.

I would say if you do have to reveal a secret in the process of an amends you are willing to handle any all backlash that could happen even from people that were not involved and had no part in the amends or the revealing of the secret. I never saw that result happening when I was truly trying to come clean but at least my slate is clean on that matter. What others have been told or believe about it is really up to them and none of my business.

I guess that is the only advice I have to give about secrets or revealing them is to make sure you trust the person enough to tell and that it will remain between you. That they will not use it later.

There are some evil people and they do not care how or what they have to use to hurt you.