View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Originally Posted by Bobcat17 View Post
Social anxiety is very real for those of us who are introverted. I have to give presentations sometimes at my job and I hate it, but I get through it. I try to prepare as much as I can and "lean into my fear", which does help a little. I don't like having the spotlight on me--whether it is meeting with my boss, public speaking, a job interview, whatever. If public speaking is something you must do for your job, I know there are resources such as toastmasters, etc...that can help with that. To get out of my comfort zone, I try to strike up conversations with people when I am out in public or make a comment during our group meetings at work. But at the end of the day, I am still an introvert and always will be. For me, drinking was a nice escape from the anxiety of social interactions, most of which leave me feeling empty anyway. But dealing with other people is obviously a part of life and I am trying to get better at it.
I completely agree with all of you who have said they have social anxiety. We are having friends over this weekend to watch the big fight and my mind instantly went to buying wine to prepare myself. I've been hiding away for the last 2 months since social anxiety has been a huge trigger for my drinking, but I'm making small efforts to put myself out there while sober. Small get-togethers, intimate family dinners, occasionally lunch with coworkers.

I'm trying to learn how to be comfortable in my own skin even if I'm not saying anything just learning how to be present and be myself without *feeling* awkward. I mean, look at how many of us have social anxiety! It seems like at least 1 out of every 2 feels this way. But when you are out with people, don't you feel like you are the only one out of place, saying the wrong thing, tensing up? I guess what I'm trying to say is it's comforting knowing that my awkwardness isn't even probably noticeable because everyone is too focused on their own behavior. (At least I hope...!)