View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
NikTes

Good advice -- thanks Bobcat!

Spotlight. The anxiety from that. That's the feeling exactly. I can't even manage the spotlight when it comes to simple conversation with acquaintances and friends. If they ask even a simple question like, how's it going? -- I sputter and stumble! I'm the type in conversation who tends to ask others questions rather than talk about myself or what I've been up to. I'm envious of talkers!

Originally Posted by Bobcat17 View Post
Social anxiety is very real for those of us who are introverted. I have to give presentations sometimes at my job and I hate it, but I get through it. I try to prepare as much as I can and "lean into my fear", which does help a little.

I don't like having the spotlight on me--whether it is meeting with my boss, public speaking, a job interview, whatever.

If public speaking is something you must do for your job, I know there are resources such as toastmasters, etc...that can help with that.

To get out of my comfort zone, I try to strike up conversations with people when I am out in public or make a comment during our group meetings at work. But at the end of the day, I am still an introvert and always will be.

For me, drinking was a nice escape from the anxiety of social interactions, most of which leave me feeling empty anyway. But dealing with other people is obviously a part of life and I am trying to get better at it.