View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Bobcat17

Originally Posted by NikTes View Post
Awful night last night, anxiety-wise -- work related. I had to host an event, my worst trigger for panic.
Social anxiety is very real for those of us who are introverted. I have to give presentations sometimes at my job and I hate it, but I get through it. I try to prepare as much as I can and "lean into my fear", which does help a little.

I don't like having the spotlight on me--whether it is meeting with my boss, public speaking, a job interview, whatever.

If public speaking is something you must do for your job, I know there are resources such as toastmasters, etc...that can help with that.

To get out of my comfort zone, I try to strike up conversations with people when I am out in public or make a comment during our group meetings at work. But at the end of the day, I am still an introvert and always will be.

For me, drinking was a nice escape from the anxiety of social interactions, most of which leave me feeling empty anyway. But dealing with other people is obviously a part of life and I am trying to get better at it.